What is the UPBC?

The purpose of the organization is to create a climate of opportunity for blind children in home, school and society; to provide information and support to parents of blind children; to facilitate the sharing of experiences and concerns among parents of blind children; to develop and expand resources available to parents and their blind children; to help parents of blind children gain understanding and perspective through partnership and contact with blind adults; and to function as an integral part of the National Federation of the Blind and the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children in their ongoing efforts to eliminate discrimination and prejudice against the blind and to achieve for the blind security, equality and opportunity.

The membership is open to parents of blind children, educators of blind children and others interested in promoting the purposes of this organization.

We are a division of the National Federation of the Blind which is the largest organization of the blind in the country. Refer to: http://www.nfb.org/

Utah Parents of Blind Children is a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Equal Work for Equal Pay - Washington Seminar 2012

"The Washington Seminar is an annual event of the National Federation of the Blind to introduce the agenda of blind Americans--the priority issues requiring congressional attention over the coming year. The issues are selected from official positions of the Federation and may address concerns in the following areas: relevant civil rights issues; educational programs and services. Approximately three legislative initiatives are chosen for priority attention during the Washington Seminar." (nfb.org)

This year NFB of Utah had approximately 20 members attend Washington Seminar. They spent five days in our Nation's Capital learning about the history of our land as well as sharing their thoughts and feelings regarding equality with our Senators and Congressmen.

This years issues presented were:
  1. The Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act of 2011: Stop Discrimiation and Promote Equal Work and Equal Pay (http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/SI/Fair%20Wages%20for%20Workers%202012.pdf)
  2. The Home Appliance Accessibility Act: End the Digital Divide (http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/SI/Home%20Appliance%20Accessibility%20Act%202012.pdf)
  3. The Americans with Disabilities Business Opportunity Act: Help Unleash the Entreprenurial Capabilities of Individuals with Disabilities (http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/SI/Americans%20with%20Disabilities%20Business%20Opportunity%20Act%202012.pdf)

Along with the visits to Capitol Hill there was a two day meeting for our parent leaders. This workshop is called the Parent Leadership Program.

Here are some thoughts from two of the attendees on their experience at Washington Seminar:

Jerry

My name is Jerry Phelps, I had the pleasure to attend the Parent Leadership Program In Washington D.C. I have to say the program was such an eye opener. It was an amazing experience to learn more about the NFB and The parent programs across the United States. I learned a lot abut the IEP process that I was not aware of. I look forward to learning more because like so many parents I always feel like I am not a part of the team but that will change. I
was amazed at the speakers that came through our program and gave us insight to not only the issues we were there to discuss but to change my perspective. I have always told my boys that they would never drive but I learned that anything thing is possible if you but your mind to it. I cannot place limitations on my kids nor can I stand by and let society do the same. I look
forward to being more involved in the NFB and help to build a stronger program here in Utah. I truly thank everyone for allowing me to be a part of this program. It was a Life changing experience for me.

Josie

I recently attended the Washington Seminar with both Julie and Jerry. This was a great learning experience of which I learned to how to better provide leadership within our chapter. I enjoyed meeting and learning from other parents as well as active blind adults. I met other parents and advocates and parent-advocates that had great ideas on improving chapter dynamics.
This experience was valuable because of the opportunity to see the potential of my child and that there are others, like him, who will support him and fight, lobby, and advocate for his needs.

Senator Mike Lee's Office

Senator Orrin Hatch's Office

No comments: